The Housing Office understands the important role that proper maintenance and safe operations have on the success of students studying here. The physical and natural environments of our facilities are maintained to enhance the learning experiences of all students.
Maintenance Services and Contact Information
Please submit a Service Request for any repairs immediately, as health and safety inspections are only performed one to two times annually. Please make sure you click on the Student Housing icon when submitting your request.
Residents are to maintain their assignments (room/unit) and common areas in a clean, neat and sanitary condition at all times. If general cleaning is not followed and additional cleaning is needed, custodial cleaning charges will apply.
Please submit a Service Request for a low battery/beeping smoke detector immediately. Please make sure you click on the Student Housing icon when submitting your request. It is a violation of Institute policy to tamper with a smoke detector, disable a fire alarm, and/or suppress a warning device. Such conduct may result in criminal penalties as well as campus disciplinary actions including but not limited to a $500.00 fine.
Housing Maintenance is responsible for replacing light bulbs. Please submit a Service Request. Please make sure you click on the Student Housing icon when submitting your request.
Please submit a Service Request to turn on or turn off the pilot light to your wall heater, depending on the Winter or Summer season. Please make sure you click on the Student Housing icon when submitting your request.
Helpful Tips Before Submitting a Request:
- To alleviate use of chemicals, when a few ants are found in your unit it is recommended:
- Clean up and throw away all food that is left out. Wipe down and clean any items or sticky residue on the counters.
- Apply soap and water to the ant trail and wipe away.
- If ants return, please submit an online Facilities Service Request so that treatment can be scheduled and performed. Please make sure you click on the Student Housing icon when submitting your request.
- If rodents or roaches are suspected in the unit, throw away all trash and cover all open food containers; make sure areas are clean for possible treatment then submit an online Facilities Service Request and make sure you click on the Student Housing icon when submitting your request.
- If you suspect having bed bug bites: please check around your bed and mattress to look for actual bugs, eggs, feces, or molted skin as evidence of an infestation. Bug bites are probably the most obvious and common sign of a possible infestation with itchy red spots that tend to show up in a zigzag or cluster. Please submit an online Facilities Service Request to schedule an inspection for possible treatment, make sure you click on the Student Housing icon when submitting your request and make sure you pull back your bed sheets so that the technician can perform a thorough inspection.
- If your unit is not cleaned the technician will not be able to perform any service and will need to reschedule. All rescheduled appointments are subjected to a fee.
When submitting an online Service Request for pest control; please provide the best time you are available to meet with the technician to discuss treatment options, technician hours are 9:00am-11:00am or 1:00pm-4:00pm. Please make sure you click on the Student Housing icon when submitting your request.
- Location: Center for Student Services (Building 86)
- Hours of Operation: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday-Friday (except holidays)
- Phone: 626-395-6175
- After Hours Maintenance Emergencies: 626-395-4717
- Lockouts: 626-395-4701
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Maintenance staff will follow current Caltech COVID-19 safety guidelines as conditions dictate. Our first priority is the health and safety of our Housing community. Please see the current Housing processes and safety protocols for work order requests and inspections:
WORK ORDER PROCESS
- Maintenance Staff enters unit to perform repairs as requested. If residents are present, we will require that they adhere to social distancing guidelines or wait outside of the unit until the work is complete.
INSPECTION & REHAB PROCESS
- Maintenance staff will inspect the unit and perform any necessary fixits.
- During inspections and fixits if residents are present, we will require that they adhere to social distancing guidelines or wait outside of the unit until the work is completed. If resident is present and does not comply with these requirements, charges will apply for the staff member's time and not being able to complete their work.